Sunday, March 18, 2007

March Break Activities

Hi all!
This week was March Break here in Ontario. So I decided that this would be a good week to start the quilts that I had planned to quilt with my two sons. I counted these as two of my UFO's since the quilts have been cut out forever.

This is a picture of the quilt top that my youngest son (6) and I just finished. He was too short to be able to use the foot pedal even with a box under it so I had him on my lap while I used the foot pedal. I, of course, did all the cutting (and some fabric guiding). He picked out all the fabrics himself over the past year or so. He is a pumpkin nut! You can see my previous post about his love of pumpkins here. Any time that we would go into a quilt shop he would find the orange fabric, or pumpkin fabric, and want some. So we gradually collected more than enough for a quilt.

This is actually Gavin's second quilt. His first quilt was a preemie quilt that he made when he was four and he insisted on donated it :) You can see his quilt here.

My older son (8) is making a rail fence quilt of three colours. I'll post a picture of that too when he gets the top finished or even just the blocks done. He is able to use the 1/4" foot with the guide quite successfully. He really impressed me with his nice 1/4" seam! I think that we may just have another quilter in the family.

The thing that I find great about this experience is how they both said how much work it was to make a quilt :) They also thought that it has been really fun too; but, I think that they have a better appreciation for what I do. I also think that it is important to pass on our love of textiles and quilting.

1 comment:

dot said...

What a great quilt. I along with your son am a pumkin nut. I love the Halloween atmosphere. Your son did a great job on his quilt.

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...