Friday, January 15, 2010

A Couple Special Baby Quilts

Over the Holidays we found out that one of our close friends' children was diagnosed with leukemia at under 2 years of age. I contacted a friend of mine who works for Victoria's Quilts Canada and our local group had this wonderful baby quilt ready to go so she gave it to me to send. The elephant quilting in the feature squares is absolutely adorable :D I made both of our friends' children soft flannel pillowcases so that I could send something quickly to them to give hem some comfort. It is absolutely amazing how the top pillowcase matches the quilt so beautifully! The reds and blues are an amazing match and none of us could believe it! This quilt and the pillowcases have been sent off to hopefully bring some love and comfort to the children and to the family. Victoria's Quilts is an amazing organization and I thank them from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful quilt!

I was also able to make another special baby quilt for friends who adopted a little boy from Russia just recently. I really wanted this quilt to tell a bit of a story ~ to reflect his journey to his new family. I found the map fabric and thought that it would work well. In the bottom right corner (above the log cabins) you can see a rail fence block that is actually the Russian Flag. I then made flying geese flying away from the Russian Flag and towards the maple leaf block to show his journey. The log cabin blocks have a red center to symbolize fire in the hearth or love in the home. Then in the corners I twisted the log cabins to show that they are a non-traditional family but that the love is still at the heart of the home. A couple more maple leaves in the corners balanced the quilt. I quilted the quilt in a large meander with airplanes to show how he crossed the map. On the back of the quilt is an amazing flannel fabric with maple leaves on it from Northcott fabrics called Winter Sports to celebrate Canada hosting the Olympic Games. There are also little Inukshuks on one of the red and blue fabrics that I just love ~ from the same fabric line. I love how this quilt turned out and I loved putting so much thought and meaning into the layout and block choice. The whole family seemed to really like the quilt and appreciate all of the meaning.

No comments:

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...